Thursday, June 26, 2008

This week

Let's see... this week I spent one afternoon at the beach just listening to music on my MP3 player. It was a relaxing day. The beach only had 10 or so people on it so it was nice. Swim class has been going well- when I can get there (Hebrew lessons are keeping me from it :-(. I saw Abraham today at the pool. I met him last week and he can speak some English. He told me all about his family in NY. He said it was easy for him to remember my name. I had to agree. The instructor is keeping me in the deep end so I can get a good workout. Half the time I don't know what he is saying but when he yells louder and louder I think that means go faster or double time! We met some other neighbors yesterday. We were walking to the trash can and noticed there had been a car accident. One of the big trash dumpsters was over turned and the car that had been behind it was significantly damaged. This older gentleman came out to look at it and started talking to us in Hebrew. We shruged our shoulders and said "only English". Immediately he switched into perfect English with a NY accent. I shook his hand. Nice to meet you sir. I guess he has lived here for the last 50 years, but they visit NY every summer. They invited us to come see their house. WOW! They have a lovely yard with all sorts of fruit trees. Lemons, Oranges, Clemintines, Olives and a few other I don't remember. They also grow green grapes off their patio. I guess he is a professor at the University. They seemed like very nice people. We also met a few other expats here over phone and email. Unfortunately one gal has just left to the states on home leave. I'm looking forward to meeting her when they come back. I braved another trip to the market. I almost forgot what exit to get off at, but was relieved once we came out of the tunnel to see we were in the right spot. I thing if I go one more time I will solidfy where to get what from each vendor. And which ones speak English. Priya got something from a vendor and they said 15 shekels, but were holding up two fingers. It was a bit confusing. She gave them 20 and expected 5 shekels back, but they never came back. I tried to talk to the other guy on her behalf. He said it's OK and drew the number 20 on his hand. I'm not sure if they changed the price or if it was really 20 to begin with. I think I need to learn my Hebrew numbers. I've got 1-5 right now. I better get back to the neighbor kids so they can teach me. Ken has been working a lot. I guess that is why we are here so I'll have to be okay with it. I think it's time to start looking for a Mediterranean cruise.

1 comment:

amy in peru said...

I know the feeling. Micah is gone a lot too...
Do you need a good book?
You can get a lot of books online...

Missing you,
Amy