Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Swimming

Getting into the fitness center today was easier than I thought it would be. I was thankful to see the same lady that Marianna and I had talked to the other day. I gave her my paperwork and she gave me some kind of magnetic button that allowed me to go through the turnstyle. So I attended my first swim class today :-) It was a lot of fun. There were probably 15 other people in the pool with the instructor on the ledge showing us what to do. Lots of kicking and punching. I was totally exhausted. I asked the instructor just before he started if he knew English... he said not much, but gestured for me to join. Throughout the class he kept close tabs on me to make sure I was doing what I was supposed to. At one point he wanted us to tread water for 2 minutes and tread harder so that your whole head and stomach were above the water. Nobody could do it. After a while he stopped yelling at us and gave us a different exercise. Maybe if we were water polo students that would be a reasonable expectation, but I'm sure I was the youngest in the class and it was all I could do to get my shoulders out of the water! Maybe it will come in time, definitly not my first day. (not sure what everybody elses excuse was :-) Afterwards I did a few laps in the swim lane. All in all, it was fun and I hope to build swim class into my "routine". I was so hungry afterwards. Glad I had an apple with me.

1 comment:

Diane said...

I can remember all 4 of you kids going to Montavilla Pool when you were young, learning how to swim. Good Job Sarah!!!!! mom