Wednesday, June 11, 2008

LOST

Well today was officially my first day on my own. Ken was at work and I had the keys to the car. This would be my first driving experience. I never did do a trial run. I think I was rather successful with only one near accident and only 2 long honks. I did spend most of the day wandering from street to street trying to figure out how to get from one place to another. I was also able to realize I was headed the wrong way on a one way street before it was too late. I would say that I was successful :-)
I had a couple of action items to complete today while Ken was gone. One find the mall... you know I'm not a big shopper but I thought it would be a good opportunity to people watch. After a few wrong turns I did finally descend on the Grand Canyon (Canyone means mall in Hebrew). There was a security lane to go through before you enter the parking structure. I was a bit alarmed when the guard opened my back door. I have seen them open the trunk before, but apparently they can open the car doors too. Inside, there were plenty of stores, but everytime I went in them they started talking to me in Hebrew. So I ended up staying on the inside track and window shopping. I did see a bookstore and remembered the relo consultant saying something about this particular store had English books. So I went in and found a few travel books on Turkey and Italy. Hey, if we are all the way over here, we might as well consider a weekend trip right? I also found a fantastic work out club at the mall. We will see if it works in with our budget :-) Leaving the mall was almost as difficult as finding it. I ended up at the end of the parking structure with the car in front of me getting a car wash and another having it's tires changed? I tried to turn around but they said No, No. I rolled my window down and said Exit? They said something in Hebrew. I said I'm trying to leave. More Hebrew. Another guy came up and said where do you want to go? I said Exit again. Where? Hmmm. This guy wants me to be specific... where do I want to go next? Finally I just said the other side of the mountain. Then he started giving me detailed directions. See once you get these Israelis talking they are very helpful :-)

1 comment:

Mandy Puth said...

These are the types of adventures that build great character! I'm so glad you're finding courage to explore your new home. It's a treat to check up on you and share in your adventure. Don't forget to spend some time doing nothing too. You haven't had a good dose of that lately. Take care.

Mandy