Monday, June 16, 2008

Strange Noises

I'm sitting here in the apartment and every once in a while I will hear a strange noise that makes me jump. Sometimes it's just the upstairs neighbors flushing their toilet, other times it's a bird calling out, and still other times I don't know what it is...

Anyway, This morning I met up with the wife of Ken's co-worker. They lived in the US for 3 years so she can speak English pretty well. She met me at the Athletic center and was able to translate for me on how much a membership cost and explain all the amenities. It isn't as nice at the Club at the mall, but I think this will work just fine. They have a swimming pool, cardio, free weights and a class room (for YOGA, etc). So now I have at least one thing to do everyday. But I miss my workout buddies from home :-( Marianni thought she might join too but she was going to have to think about it for a while. Anyway, after joining the fitness center, we went down to the beach to walk on the promenade. She likes to go there every morning for exercise. I was surprised at how many people were down there. Many people were hovered around chess boards enjoying a friendly game. After our walk I had some amazing fresh squeezed orange juice and we sat in the chairs in the sand and just talked. Fun morning. After lunch at home, I called Priya and we went to see the German Colony. I figured it might be interesting. Well let's just say we were happy when we found some icecream for 2 shekels. It was quite warm and we walked up and down the streets thinking we would be able to see inside some of the German houses. The only place open was a museum but it was closing in a half an hour so we kept walking. That's when we found the ice cream :-) It saved the day. On our way home I took a wrong turn. Surprise, Surprise. I turned around and headed back to the street we came from. As I was driving I saw one driver shaking his head at me, then another wagging his finger, then I thought something must be wrong here, I'm not on a one way am I? No signs were posted, but it did appear that I was the only one headed my direction and I was coming up on a corner. YIKES! Guess it was a one way street. It took a while to get turned around, but we made it home safe and sound :-) Priya might not want to go anywhere with me from now on :-(. I was surprised at how calm she was.

No comments: