Sunday, July 27, 2008

Need directions?

Believe it or not, we were able to help a couple of Israelies find their way around Haifa this weekend! We went for a walk up the hill and a car stopped near us. I shook my head and said "lo evrite" which I have put together to mean I don't speak Hebrew (I actually never asked anyone what I was saying, but it always seems to get the message across :-). The gals in the car said, do you speak English? And then asked if we were familiar with the area. I guess that is relative, but we said yes. They were looking for a park. I've been there quite a bit so I gave them my best directions- go straight for 10 minutes, till you see the big hotel buildings and there will be parking on your right about 5 blocks down. They seemed grateful for the help and were on their way. Not sure if they actually made it, but we were feeling pretty confident that we were able to actually help someone else for a change!

Our other neighbors (the Bears) invited us over yesterday and we had a wonderful BBQ. They had steak, hotdogs, chicken and sausages, along with 3 different salads, curried chicken, corn on the cob and baked potatoes. These guys really know how to eat over here! We were stuffed by the time dessert came around, Ken was happy to "help me" finish my chocolate cake. We stayed for about 4 hours and had a nice time talking with them and hearing about their upbringing in Haifa. When their oldest was born a war had just started and they were evacuated from the building the day after he was born. They were given a special portable incubator to keep him in while in the "safe room" in their house to protect from any chemical warfare that might be present. Yikes!

Today after work, Ken and I went to the beach. We believe the jellyfish are gone :-) We jumped a few waves and just laid on the beach for a few hours. It was so relaxing. Now it's time to finish my Hebrew homework...

1 comment:

Diane said...

How great is that.... you did it girl!!!! I'm proud of you... I just got a call from Wendi.... goodies are coming.. Its great to have people being your mail carrier for you... Any one else going to Hiafa????