Thursday, July 31, 2008

A few thoughts from this week

Yesterday I went for a walk at the high school across the street. I thought I would walk around the track to get a little exercise since I didn't make it to the swim center. When I got there I was surprised to find some military ceremony taking place (or maybe it was just practice- there weren't many people in the bleachers watching). So I thought to myself... if it's just practice maybe I can still walk around the track. I sat on the bleachers off to the side for a little bit to observe. They played some music through the speakers maybe the national anthem and then they did a drill with their guns. On second thought I don't really feel like being shot at so maybe I will find somewhere else to exercise. I walked over to the basketball court area and walked around the two full sized courts (it seemed close to the size of a track). I probably should have just got in the car and drove to the workout facility, but I wasn't quite sure when Ken would be done with work.

Today I was a little early to swim class. 3 of my friends were chatting in the pool, so I got in and joined them. I hadn't seen my friend Abraham in awhile but without fail he told me of his family that lives in NY. I talked with Shoshana and she was telling me about her time in Auschwitz. How sad. She was the only one in her family to survive. She showed me her shoulder and said this scar was from when they punished her. She took off her shoes (or they thought she was taking off her shoes and trying to escape) and so they shot her in the shoulder. It was a sad story. She said she didn't talk about it much. It's wierd to think I meet these people everyday and some of them have such difficult stories to tell.

This afternoon I met Ken at work for lunch. I had a great time eating food I didn't have to make and talking with Ken's co-workers. Everyday his whole team stops what they are doing and go to lunch together at the cafe. I was able to share my limited Hebrew with them and they seemed impressed. After lunch, Ken went back to work and I went to the mall and found a bookstore to look at travel books. I spent the whole afternoon researching Spain and Italy (I think that will be our next great adventure).

As for this weekend... I'm still not sure what we will do (if anything).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Further an interesting journey! I was some years ago in Israel and Jordan. It was very beautiful. Greetings from Germany, Susanne.