Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Mommy Merit Badges?

I'm new to the mom thing, so maybe something is already in place...but I think there should be some sort of badge or recognition for accomplishing the little things. I was thinking during this 2am feeding about the day. I was the recipient of my son's projectile vomit and thought that's a first...probably not the last. It was a little accomplishment...like surviving our first night at home or successfully getting to the grocery store and back. I'm not looking for a pat on the back...this is just a late night thought. It;s been a reminder to me of everything my mom has done for me...little gifts of love I've really never thought about till I've become a mom. More and more over the last 10 years I have noticed or been made aware of sacrifices she has made for me. So much so that there is really no words to express my thanks. Mom you are Incredible!

3 comments:

red-headed Wilson's said...

O, Sarah! You do deserve an award. But here is a great thing. Really after the first few weeks it gets easier! It really does. You can actually get things done in your house! Everything starts to fall into place. And having kids really does make you view your mother differently.

Shalisa said...

Of course there are mommy merit badges! Didn't you get your little sash in the mail that you sew them on to? I usually wear mine under my sweaters because I don't want the other mommies to be jealous of all that I've aquired. :) Haha! You'll endure,and you'll wonder why people do this over and over again, and then you'll do it over again...:) But I agree with the last commenter, and that things WILL get better. 6 is what I was told. That's what it took for my first one. I had 6 weeks of everything blurring together, 6 weeks of tough breastfeeding, and 6 weeks of complete wonderment. Then, life came back to me. I could sweep my floors and actually make dinner that didn't include the number to the pizza guy and...I was still in complete wonderment. :) But the sleep thing...still working on that. The good news as that you adapt.

Congrats on your first badge. It's the one that smells like sour milk. Sew it on. :)

Wendi said...

You're body has been through hell. Things really do get easier. You may even be able to get a shower or go to the bathroom all by your self in the next week or two.

My appreciation of my mom went of tenfold after I gave birth. Moms are amazing! You're going to be one of the best! Hang in there.