Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas can't be cancelled!

What? I recieved a call on Wednesday morning saying Christmas was cancelled. I think the message that was trying to be conveyed was that it's too dangerous for everyone to travel across town in the snow and arrive for Christmas Dinner.... but it came out as Christmas is cancelled. The very thought of it! I can't even imagine. Christmas canNOT be cancelled! In all my years I don't remember such a white Christmas. I remember wishing and praying for a white Christmas... but now that I've had one and seen how it can keep us from getting together I don't think I will be wishing for another one for quite some time. Don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed the snow... it's so pretty! But it does seem to have interfered with a few plans we have had. Regardless of the phone call we recieved that morning, we felt that we would brave the roads and at least try to make it to my parents house on Christmas Eve. The freeways were totally fine. It was the side streets that were a little bit of an issue but we made it. When we arrived, we had a wonderful Chicken Nugget and Mac'NCheese Dinner :-) Not your typical Christmas Eve special, but it was good and so nice to be with family. The snow was piled high in their neighborhood - 16inches (not sure if that was an official measurement or not, but there was a lot!) so we spent the night and enjoyed a quiet morning with my parents as well. Dad made breakfast for us... bacon, eggs and mom made the chocolate chip pancakes. Yum. I love being home in the USA!

Christms Day we headed up to Vancouver to be with half of Ken's family (the other half was stuck in Seattle). The temperatures were above freezing and the snow seemed to be melting. We were surprised on our drive to Vancouver to run into another snow storm. These flakes were huge! The biggest I've ever seen. The freeway drive seemed to be alright headed Northward, but we got stuck on the side streets heading into their neighborhood. We drove in the ruts just long enough to get high centered in our little Honda Civic. Thankfully we were only 3 blocks away and Reuben could come and pick us up. Christmas was crazy with 7 kids and 3 dogs running around. Ken got his exercise playing tag.... and 3 kids threw up from running around just after eating. Guess we have a few lessons to learn about parenting before Nathaniel comes. The food was excellent and we enjoyed the day. In the evening Ken set out to check on the car and see if the snow melted enough to get out. I'm not sure how they did it, but they did get the car out to the main street and we were able to drive home (I thought for sure we were spending the night!). It was a very busy day.

No comments: