Thursday, January 20, 2011

Christmas Movie

One of my favorite Christmas Traditions was started by my Dad's sisters in 1986 or so. They gave their 9 nieces and nephews and invitation to spend a day with them. They took us to McDonalds for lunch (we got to order WHATEVER we wanted), and then to a movie of our choice (AGAIN we got to order whatever snacks we wanted). I think we all fit in one car that first year. And my two AMAZING Aunts have continued to offer this special day to us as our Christmas present. Each year around Christmas the cousins discuss what movie to go see. It's a much anticipated event! I can remember my brothers eating 3 Big Macs, Fries, & a Coke and then getting Popcorn, Soda, and candy at the theater. ( We think Ken hit his Daily Recommended Calorie intake be3fore we left McD's this year...He was the only one interested in adding it up:-) I think a couple of years we even went to Dairy Queen afterwards. Oh man was I STUFFED. Sweet Memories. I'm sure it was pretty fun for my Aunts to see us all together.

As we have grown older spouses were allowed to join the fun. It's hard to get all 9+ of us together and some have missed out over the years (mostly because they have moved out of state). I think Steven and Corrie and I are the only ones who haven't missed a single year. Can you blame us? For me the tradition has become sweeter as the years have gone by. We have all gotten older and appreciate the time together so much more. We've even enlisted our parents in the fun (er, babysitting) so that we can keep the tradition going.

No comments: