Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Bus ride and vacation plans

This week I used the public transit system. My neighbors were anxious to show me how fun it is to ride the bus. I told them I when I worked downtown I rode the bus everyday back and forth to work so I knew what a bus ride felt like. Nonetheless, we went on an excursion to the city center and back. We did stop at a bakery and chocolate shop once we got to the city center. They sold "sticky buns" for 1 shekel and also had something similar to a sugar donut. The donut was not of Krispy Kreme quality :-( It wasn't bad though, just a little chewy. The chocolate shop had all sorts of candies. The kids handed me a bag to fill to the top. I told them it would be okay if we shared a bag and they eagerly filled the bag full. They ate so much they weren't hungry for lunch. Oops! Then we walked on the promenade for a bit (not long enough to burn any calories) and headed back to the bus stop. I must say that the experience was relatively similar to Tri-Met (other than the slight thought of a terrorist act which I tried to dismiss as soon as it came into my mind).

Now we are anxiously packing for our vacation to Barcelona this weekend and the cruise next week. The cruise will leave Barcelona and be out to sea for a day. Arrive in Malta for a day. Sail at night to Naples, Italy. Leave that evening for Rome. Stay the day in Rome and sail through the night to Livorno (Pisa). After a day in Livorno we sail to Nice, France and then back to Barcelona. It should be a very exciting trip. I've been spending my afternoons at the bookstore in the mall to read up on each of these places to find out how to spend our time. So much to read!!!! Hopefully we will be able to spend some quality time at a few places. We are also looking forward to the food (there's gotta be bacon on the boat right?) I've been talking about a Meditterranean cruise for the last 2-3 years in anticipation of Ken's sabbatical. We can hardly wait!

3 comments:

Diane said...

Oh my what a busy time you will have this next week. I hope Ken can enjoy this trip. Sounds like you are just having a great time. How many countries have you gone to? Take lots of pictures. mom

Shalisa said...

Oh I am soooo jealous! I've wanted to hit up Malta for years!

I think our top sites in Rome were the Colloseum and St. Peter's. The Vatican was ok and Sistine Chapel was gorgeous...but not at all what we expected. If you go there, they don't like you taking pictures...but a small camera sticking out of your pocket is hard to catch :) And you never know what cool photo you might get!

You'll have such a wonderful time!

amy in peru said...

Thanks for coming to my blog Sistil!!

Hey I've been thinking of doing a special unit study (focused study) with the kids on Israel since you guys are there. I probably won't start until November, but I was wondering if you'd do me a HUGE favor?! Would you collect a few little things from Israel for me? This is all I could think of, maybe you'd have some more ideas...

Here's a list:
photocopy or scan of paper money
a bunch of coins
a flag (not too big, or too small)
a few travel brochures of places that you've been to.
packaging from typical food
a menu?
a newspaper

Have a GREAT time on your cruise!! I'm waiting until someday when we're rich and famous... ;)

Amy