Saturday, November 10, 2012

Frozen shoulder

In May my shoulder started bothering me...I thought maybe I tweaked it at the gym doing weights so I changed my routine and did cardio instead. Since then my shoulder got progressively worse. By August, anytime I made a quick movement I would have this sharp pain shooting through my arm. In September it got to be so painful (it was interfering with my volleyball game) that I decided to see a physical therapist. He gave me some stretching exercises to do but it got WORSE! So I made an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon to get a diagnosis. Frozen shoulder. He decided we needed a cortisone shot to alleviate swelling/pain and confirm it wasn't a vertebrae issue. I'm not crazy about shots but the pain was so bad I agreed. The fact that it had to be done in a sterile environment and it was just me and 4 doctors/nurses made me even more nervous. I didn't look. The procedure only took 5 minutes and afterwards they made me sit in a wheelchair while they took me up to the doctor for examination. My arm felt so much better! Until the anesthetic wore off :-( The doctor gave me some exercises and I've made so much progress! I've also been going to my chiropractor and it is has really made a difference. I know I have a lot to do to get back to 100% but I'm so thankful it's on the mend!

No comments: